Definition of Genus Cystopteris
1. Noun. Chiefly small perennial rock ferns: bladder ferns; in some classifications placed in Polypodiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Athyriaceae, Dryopteridaceae, Family Athyriaceae, Family Dryopteridaceae
Member holonyms: Bladder Fern
Genus Cystopteris Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cystopteris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cystopteris
Literary usage of Genus Cystopteris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Phytologist: A Popular Botanical Miscellany edited by George Luxford, Edward Newman (1844)
"... figure of the fructification will show that Presl is right in referring it to the genus Cystopteris montana. Cystopteris. A specimen, obligingly lent me ..."
2. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1899)
"... and thus introduced the practice of arbitrarily discarding a name already established, " a retrenching of the genus Cystopteris Bernhardi as compounded ..."
3. Studies in Natural History by University of Iowa (1899)
"Genus CYSTOPTERIS Bernhardi, Schrad. Neu. Jour. Bot. vol. I, pt. ,2, p. 26 (1806). CYSTOPTERIS FRAGILIS (L.) Bernh. One of the most common ferns in the ..."
4. Ferns: British and Exotic by Edward Joseph Lowe (1868)
"... and proliferous habit; Woodsia, a group of small slender Ferns, with peculiar indusium. The genus Cystopteris, another group of small delicate Ferns; ..."
5. The fern paradise: a plea for the culture of ferns by Francis George Heath (1878)
"The common or popular name given to the delicate and beautiful Ferns included under the genus Cystopteris, has been suggested, as in the case of the Shield ..."