Definition of Genus Cyprinus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Cyprinidae: carp.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Cyprinidae, Family Cyprinidae
Member holonyms: Cyprinus Carpio, Domestic Carp
Genus Cyprinus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cyprinus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cyprinus
Literary usage of Genus Cyprinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Ichthyologia Ohiensis, Or, Natural History of the Fishes Inhabiting the by Constantine Samuel Rafinesque, Richard Ellsworth Call (1899)
"... and Shiners, which should belong to the genus Cyprinus of Lin- neus, or rather to the part of it which has been called Leuciscus by Klein and Cuvier; ..."
2. Transactions of the Geological Society of London by Geological Society of London (1836)
"He considers them to belong to the genus Cyprinus, but to be dissimilar from any known species, and he has named it Cyprinus ..."
3. The American Journal of Science, & C (1818)
"... who confesses that he does not consider it as properly belonging to the genus Cyprinus, and presumes that when other species shall be dig- covered, ..."
4. Trübner's Bibliographical Guide to American Literature: A Classed List of by Nikolaus Triibner (1859)
"Description of a New Species of the genus Cyprinus, by the same. An Account of an American Species of Tortoise, not noticed in the Systems, by the same. ..."