Definition of Genus Ancylus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Ancylidae: river limpet.
Generic synonyms: Mollusk Genus
Group relationships: Ancylidae, Family Ancylidae
Member holonyms: Ancylus Fluviatilis, Freshwater Limpet, River Limpet
Genus Ancylus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Ancylus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Ancylus
Literary usage of Genus Ancylus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1855)
"... for the type of the genus Ancylus, and the No genus has received greater changes of position than Ancylus ; the only two British species have even been ..."
2. Transactions of the Academy of Science of Saint Louis by Academy of Science of St. Louis (1860)
"Genus ANCYLUS Geoffroy. *118. ANCYLUS PARALLELUS Haldeman. Charlotte. *119. ANCYLUS TARDUS Say. Irondequoit. *120. ANCYLUS RIVULARIS Say. Genesee River. ..."
3. A Manual of Palaeontology for the Use of Students with a General by Henry Alleyne Nicholson (1872)
"Physa The genus Ancylus comprises the so-called " River-Limpets," at once distinguished by their thin, conical, limpet-shaped shells. ..."
4. A Manual of Palaeontology for the Use of Students with a General by Henry Alleyne Nicholson (1872)
"The genus Ancylus comprises the so-called " River-Limpets," at once distinguished by their thin, .conical, limpet-shaped shells. ..."