Definition of Fumewort
1. Noun. Delicate European herb with greyish leaves and spikes of purplish flowers; formerly used medicinally.
Group relationships: Fumaria, Genus Fumaria
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
2. Noun. Herb of northern Europe and Asia having erect racemes of red flowers.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fumewort Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fumewort
fumewort (current term)
Literary usage of Fumewort
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1853)
"It was mentioned that, owing to the unusual wetness of the Society's Garden, the roots of this handsome fumewort in the open ground had all rotted this ..."
2. A naturalist in western China: with vasculum, camera, and gun; being some by Ernest Henry Wilson, Charles Sprague Sargent (1913)
"The Lousewort (Pedicularis) and fumewort (Corydalis) are represented by many species, having flowers embracing all the cardinal colours. ..."
3. The Floricultural Cabinet, and Florists Magazine by Joseph Harrison (1851)
"The same fumewort, evidently grown in less heat, and more highly coloured, was exhibited by Mr. Clark, nurseryman, Brixton-hill; but by far the finest ..."