Definition of Football league
1. Noun. A league of football teams.
Football League Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Football League Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Football League
Literary usage of Football league
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"... football league, a combination of professional clubs of the north and midlands of England, was formed; and a new scheme was inaugurated for the playing ..."
2. An Almanack for the Year of Our Lord by Joseph Whitaker (1869)
"2 INTER-LEAGUE MATCHES t. 31 Norwich. football league 3; Irish League iv ... football league 3; Italian League z. ir. 18 Dublin. League of Ireland i; ..."
3. Aviation in Canada, 1917-1918: Being a Brief Account of the Work of the by Alan Sullivan (1919)
"A representative RFC team was enrolled in the Ontario Provincial football league, and inter-unit teams were also selected. A very successful eleven was ..."
4. Athletics at Princeton: A History by Frank Presbrey, James Hugh Moffatt (1901)
"The withdrawal of Harvard from the Intercollegiate football league was due to the fact that the intense competition within the League had led to ..."