Definition of Flotation device
1. Noun. Rescue equipment consisting of a buoyant belt or jacket to keep a person from drowning.
Generic synonyms: Float, Rescue Equipment
Specialized synonyms: Life Belt, Life Buoy, Life Ring, Lifesaver, Cork Jacket, Life Jacket, Life Vest, Water Wings
Flotation Device Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Flotation Device Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Flotation Device
Literary usage of Flotation device
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The U. S. Coal Industry, 1970-1990: Two Decades of Change (1992)
"The most frequent cause of flotation device malfunction is corrosion caused by ... The cartridge used in a flotation device should be the one designed to be ..."
2. Pesticides in the Next Decade: The Challenges Ahead: Third National Research (1994)
"When on deck the crew must have on a hard hat and flotation device. It is also mandatory to don a flotation device when in a skiff going to shore or when ..."
3. Subsurface Characterization and Monitoring Techniques: Vol. 1: Solids ...by J. Russell Boulding by J. Russell Boulding (1996)
"Method Description: Mechanical float: A flotation device is attached to a length of steel tape and suspended over a pulley into the well. ..."
4. The Flotation Process by Herbert Ashton Megraw (1918)
"The LA Wood flotation device. lead concentrates. Having removed all the lead possible by this means, the pulp passes to other boxes, or frothing apparatus, ..."
5. The Flotation Process by Herbert Ashton Megraw (1916)
"THE LA WOOD flotation device. upper chamber with the inclined bottom is devised. The concentrates are drawn off through the valve at the apex of the chamber ..."
6. Across the Reef: The Amphibious Tracked Vehicle at War by Victor J. Croizat (2001)
"A further valued innovation was a tank flotation device (DD) which had been invented by a Hungarian, Nicholas Straussler, and accepted by the British Army ..."