Definition of Felis
1. Noun. Type genus of the Felidae: true cats and most wildcats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Felidae, Felidae
Member holonyms: Domestic Cat, Felis Catus, Felis Domesticus, House Cat, Wildcat, Catamountain, European Wildcat, Felis Silvestris, Catamount, Cougar, Felis Concolor, Mountain Lion, Painter, Panther, Puma, Felis Pardalis, Ocelot, Panther Cat, Eyra, Felis Yagouaroundi, Jaguarondi, Jaguarundi, Jaguarundi Cat, Caffer Cat, Felis Ocreata, Kaffir Cat, Felis Chaus, Jungle Cat, Felis Serval, Serval, Felis Bengalensis, Leopard Cat, Felis Tigrina, Tiger Cat, Felis Wiedi, Margay, Margay Cat, Felis Manul, Manul, Pallas's Cat
Definition of Felis
1. n. A genus of carnivorous mammals, including the domestic cat, the lion, tiger, panther, and similar animals.
Medical Definition of Felis
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Felis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Felis
Literary usage of Felis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1919)
"The figures (drawings) are engraved separately as plates and are legended "Ocelot No. 1 [to 4] of Hamilton Smith." The account of the felis catenate follows ..."
2. The Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: Commercial by Edward Balfour (1885)
"This is supposed by some to be a black variety of the felis pardus, and both varieties ... felis jubata, the hunting cheeta or hunting leopard, is common, ..."
3. East African Mammals in the United States National Museum by Ned Hollister (1918)
"felis PARDUS CHUI Heller. Plates 44, 45. 1913. felis pardus chui HELLER, ... The specimen listed above from the Nzoia River is not typical of felis pardus ..."
4. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller, United States National Museum (1912)
"Twelve miles southwest of Vidalia, Co Parish, Louisiana. t*felis ... Pozo Azul, Paris Province, Costa Rie t*felis centralis Mearns. 1901. ..."
5. A Whimsey Anthology by Carolyn Wells (1906)
"MACARONIC POETRY VERY felis-ITOUS felis Int sedit by a hole, Intente she, ... Tune rushed the felis into them, Et tore them omnes limb from limb, Violenter. ..."
6. Catalogue of Carnivorous, Pachydermatous, and Edentate Mammalia in the by John Edward Gray (1869)
"felis. Tail cylindrical, elongate, sometimes shorter than the body. ... felis grisea. BM Leopardus griseus, Gray, Ann. fy May. NH xp 200, 1842. ..."