Definition of Family locustidae
1. Noun. Short-horned grasshoppers; true locusts.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Order Orthoptera, Orthoptera
Member holonyms: Acridid, Short-horned Grasshopper, Genus Locusta, Locusta, Genus Melanoplus, Melanoplus
Family Locustidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Locustidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Locustidae
Literary usage of Family locustidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Fauna of Mayfield's Cave by Arthur Mangun Banta (1907)
"... from Nova Scotia to Texas east of the Rocky Mountains. I find no mention of its wintering over. Order ORTHOPTERA. Family LOCUSTIDAE. ..."
2. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"We, have already seen that the term "locusts" should properly be applied to the long-horned grasshoppers of the true family Locustidae, although it is also, ..."
3. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1915)
"... etc., but judging from the figures by Caudell, 1912 ("Orthoptera," family "Locustidae ;" Genera Insectorum, fascicle 138), ..."
4. Handbook to the Natural History of Cambridgeshire by John Edward Marr, Arthur Everett Shipley (1904)
"Family LOCUSTIDAE. Locusta viridissima, L. Very common in the fens and in hedges, etc., in many places (Jenyns). This fine species appears to be less common ..."