Definition of Family Chironomidae
1. Noun. Midges.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Nematocera, Suborder Nematocera
Member holonyms: Midge, Chironomus, Genus Chironomus
Family Chironomidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Chironomidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Chironomidae
Literary usage of Family Chironomidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Sanitary Entomology: The Entomology of Disease, Hygiene and Sanitation by William Dwight Pierce (1921)
"Interesting discussions of these flies are to be found in the books by Hindle, and Patton and Cragg. family Chironomidae Midges The little midges of this ..."
2. Fresh-water Biology by Henry Baldwin Ward, George Chandler Whipple (1918)
"35 (7) Prothorax with one or two prolegs 36 36 (57) A pair of prolegs beneath the prothorax, and another pair at the end of the abdomen Family CHIRONOMIDAE ..."
3. A Classification of the Lepidoptera Based on Characters of the Pupa by Edna Mosher (1915)
"... particularly in the family Chironomidae. Scudder (‘89) was the first to attempt a classification of lepidopterous pupae, but his keys to the chrysalids ..."
4. Effects of the Eruptions of Mount St. Helens on Physical, Chemical, and by Douglas B. Lee (1998)
"The members of the Diptera were predominantly larvae of the family Chironomidae (midges). After the eruption, the surviving population was small, ..."
5. The Diagnostics and treatment of tropical diseases by Edward Rhodes Stitt (1914)
"More recently he has incriminated midges of the family Chironomidae as well as Simulium. The Thompson-McFadden Pellagra Commission has investigated most ..."