Definition of Expanding upon
1. Noun. Adding information or detail.
Generic synonyms: Increase, Step-up
Specialized synonyms: Amplification, Elaboration, Annotating, Annotation, Subjoining, Subjunction, Supplementation
Derivative terms: Expand
Expanding Upon Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Expanding Upon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Expanding Upon
Literary usage of Expanding upon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Experimental Researches in Steam Engineering by Benjamin Franklin Isherwood (1863)
"... as the recession of the piston continues to uncover fresh portions of the cool cylinder, the hotter steam expanding upon them must, in consequence, ..."
2. Familiar Lectures on Botany, Practical, Elementary, and Physiological: With by Lincoln Phelps (1849)
"These particles of pollen thus placed upon water, swell with the moisture until they burst; a liquid matter is then thrown out, and, expanding upon the ..."
3. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1900)
"4370, Ç, Martha's Vineyard, Mass., Sept. 29) is almost wholly in this dress', new feathers however still expanding upon the chin and throat ..."
4. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1874)
""I make this remark without expanding upon it ; simply saying, that of all the great achievements, not only of this age, but of all ages, the most wonderful ..."
5. Proceedings of the Essex Institute by Essex Institute (1868)
"... border of the muscle : it is inserted by expanding upon and grasping, as it were, the most prominent carpal bone upon the radial border of the wrist. ..."