Definition of Elisabethville
1. Noun. A city in southeastern Congo near the border with Zambia; a copper mining center; former name (until 1966) was Elisabethville.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center
Group relationships: Belgian Congo, Congo, Democratic Republic Of The Congo, Zaire
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Elisabethville Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Elisabethville
Literary usage of Elisabethville
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Education in Africa: A Study of West, South, and Equatorial Africa by the by Thomas Jesse Jones (1922)
"elisabethville Station—The possibilities of mission work in and immediately about elisabethville surpass those in any part of Central Africa. ..."
2. Pioneering in the Congo by John McKendree Springer (1916)
"to elisabethville and christen the infant of a Belgian physician, a Protestant. This was my first visit to elisabethville since 1911. ..."
3. Year Book by Carnegie Institution of Washington (1921)
"From the railhead he continued by carrier, following the projected railway route from Benguella to elisabethville by way of Cuanza, Mexico, ..."
4. South America, Past and Present by Luis Cincinato Bollo (1919)
"The distance to be covered across continental Africa from Cairo to the Cape is 10000 kms., with the following connecting lines: Cape Town to elisabethville ..."
5. Through the Heart of Africa by Frank Hulme Melland, Edward H. Cholmeley (1912)
"... Lobito Bay line is being pushed on to Katanga to meet the northern extension of the Rhodesia Railways which are already creeping on from elisabethville ..."
6. Journal by General Assembly, Pennsylvania General Assembly. Senate, Pennsylvania (1901)
"Jacob F. Fisher, elisabethville. Delaware County. Jno. M. Broomall, 3rd, Media. Kingsley Montgomery, Chester. Joshua C. Taylor, Chester. ..."