Definition of Elaphurus
1. Noun. A genus of Cervidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Cervidae, Family Cervidae
Member holonyms: Elaphure, Elaphurus Davidianus, Pere David's Deer
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Elaphurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Elaphurus
Literary usage of Elaphurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of Ruminant Mammalia: (Pecora, Linnæus) in the British Museum by John Edward Gray (1872)
"elaphurus. Tail elongate, cylindrical, bushy at the end. ... elaphurus Davidianus. (The Mi lou.) BM Cervus Davidianus, Sclater, Traits. ZS vii. p. 333, t. ..."
2. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1868)
"... the Secretary announced that the two adult specimens of elaphurus davidianus, which had been presented to the Society at ..."
3. Proceedingsby Zoological Society of London by Zoological Society of London (1872)
"... 677 Letter to the Secretary respecting a Monkey from the Island of North Lena, near Hongkong 1866, 550 Letter from, on elaphurus davidianus, ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"Again, it is highly probable that Père David s deer of Central Asia, alone representing the genus elaphurus, is akin to the fork-antlered deer, ..."
5. The English Cyclopaedia by Charles Knight (1870)
"... it resembles a stag in its horns, a cow in its feet, a camel in its neck, and an ass in its tail. The species has been named elaphurus David- ..."