Definition of Discomycete
1. Noun. Any fungus that is a member of the subclass Discomycetes.
Generic synonyms: Ascomycete, Ascomycetous Fungus
Group relationships: Discomycetes, Subclass Discomycetes
Specialized synonyms: Leotia Lubrica, Mitrula Elegans, Sarcoscypha Coccinea, Scarlet Cup, Caloscypha Fulgens, Aleuria Aurantia, Orange Peel Fungus, Peziza Domicilina, Blood Cup, Fairy Cup, Peziza Coccinea, Urn Fungus, Urnula Craterium, Galiella Rufa, Jafnea Semitosta
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Discomycete Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Discomycete
Literary usage of Discomycete
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia of Practical Horticulture: A Reference System of Commercial by Granville Lowther, William Worthington (1914)
"We have also observed the same discomycete in the old bark of cankers on pear trees. Cultures obtained by most careful methods from the germinating ascos- ..."
2. Phytopathology by American Phytopathological Society (1917)
"asci lying in this exposed condition surrounded by the remainder of the ascocarp give the appearance of a true discomycete. This, however, is due to the ..."
3. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1898)
"... E. & E. On weather-beaten wood of white cedar post, Rockport (Bartholomew). L. c., p. 316. discomycete* (Cup Funai). 146. ..."
4. The Natural History of Plants: Their Forms, Growth, Reproduction, and by Anton Kerner von Marilaun (1902)
"... so that the ascal surface is exposed ; or this surface is spread over the outside of a fleshy receptacle. As a good example of a discomycete, ..."