Definition of Desmidiaceae
1. Noun. Unicellular algae.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Family
Group relationships: Charophyceae, Class Charophyceae
Member holonyms: Desmidium, Genus Desmidium
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Desmidiaceae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Desmidiaceae
Literary usage of Desmidiaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Microscope and Its Revelations by William Benjamin Carpenter (1883)
"At certain times, oil-globules are observable in the protoplasm; these seem to represent the starch-granules of the desmidiaceae (§261) and the oil-globules ..."
2. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1869)
"Besides the siliceous envelope and the amber tint of the contents, the Diatomaceae differ very materially from .thr desmidiaceae in their ..."
3. The Monthly Microscopical Journal: Transactions of the Royal Microscopical (1869)
"It is a curious and noteworthy fact that the desmidiaceae are apparently as cosmopolitan in their range as the Diatomaceae, the same forms being found ..."
4. The Transactions of the Microscopical Society of London by Microscopical Society of London (1853)
"The sporangia of the desmidiaceae thus originating in conjugation have for the most part a spherical form, and, according to Ralfs (p. ..."
5. Book-prices Current: A Record of Prices at which Books Have Been Sold at Auction (1898)
"Papers on Diatomaceae, desmidiaceae, etc., actions of the Microscopical Society, ... desmidiaceae and Diatomaceae ; British and Foreign, 40 coloured plates, ..."