Definition of Descensus
1. Noun. The slipping or falling out of place of an organ (as the uterus).
Specialized synonyms: Enteroptosis, Glossoptosis, Descensus Uteri, Metroptosis, Nephroptosia, Nephroptosis, Ptosis, Ureterocele, Urethrocele
Generic synonyms: Disability, Disablement, Handicap, Impairment
Derivative terms: Prolapse
Medical Definition of Descensus
1. A falling away from a higher position. See: ptosis, procidentia. Synonym: descent. Origin: L. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Descensus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Descensus
Literary usage of Descensus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Works by Manuel Márquez Sterling, William Makepeace Thackeray, Leslie Stephen, Louise Stanage (1900)
"FACILIS descensus. HILST the good old Bishop of Cambray, in his romance lately mentioned, described the disconsolate condition of Calypso at the departure ..."
2. A Text-book of the History of Doctrines by Karl Rudolf Hagenbach (1861)
"Apost. traditur Jesu Christi ad Inferos descensus, Haer. 1836. This clause is first found in the creed of the church of Aquileia, and was brought into wider ..."
3. The Works of William Makepeace Thackeray by William Makepeace Thackeray, Sir Leslie Stephen (1899)
"CHAPTER XX FACILIS descensus WHILST the good old Bishop of Cambray, in his romance lately mentioned, ..."
4. Forerunners of Dante: An Account of Some of the More Important Visions of by Marcus Dods (1903)
"To return to the literature of the " descensus Christi," we first find another apocryphal work referring to the episode. In the Anaphora Filati^ the Roman ..."
5. The Diagnosis of diseases of women by Palmer Findley (1905)
"descensus lateralis, in which the ovary descends no farther than the ... The causes of descensus ovarii are: 1. Increase in the weight of the ovary by: a. ..."