Definition of Dendroctonus
1. Noun. Genus of small bark beetles destructive especially to mature conifers.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Ipidae, Family Scolytidae, Ipidae, Scolytidae
Member holonyms: Dendroctonus Rufipennis, Spruce Bark Beetle
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dendroctonus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dendroctonus
Literary usage of Dendroctonus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1863-1871), Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1903)
"His first trip was made through the South-eastern States, to determine the area of a recent outbreak of dendroctonus frontali!. He found in the southern ..."
2. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington by Entomological Society of Washington (1902)
"Hopkins then read his paper entitled " Notes on the Genus dendroctonus," of ... Attention is called to the meagre knowledge of the dendroctonus and the ..."
3. Rhynchophora Or Weevils of North Eastern America by Willis Stanley Blatchley, Charles William Leng (1916)
"dendroctonus PUNCTATUS Lee., 1868, 173. Dark reddish-brown. Head convex, with moderately distinct anterior impression. Punctures of pronotum distinct, ..."
4. Sessional Papers by Ontario Legislative Assembly (1913)
"A few dendroctonus-killed jack pines may be seen along the Clear Lake trail. Conditions are 'being carefully watched by the officers of the reserve and any ..."