Definition of Demotics
1. n. The department of knowledge relative to the care and culture of the people; sociology in its broadest sense; -- in library cataloguing.
Definition of Demotics
1. the study of people in society [n]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Demotics Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Demotics
Literary usage of Demotics
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Political Organization of Attica: A Study of the Demes, Trittyes, and by John S. Traill (1975)
"4 The one hundred and twenty-eight demotics (allowing that Kolonos in PA. is ... may provide an indication of the total number of demotics present in the ..."
2. Public Organization in Ancient Greece: A Documentary Study by Nicholas F. Jones (1987)
"demotics are in evidence down to the second or third century AD In the year ... 645 and 661, attesting the use of Attic demotics with nomen and patronymic. ..."
3. Inscriptions: The Funerary Monuments by Donald W. Bradeen (1974)
"Broken Names Assigned to Demes Ill. Broken Names Assigned to Tribes IV. Broken Names with Ethnics V. Names with demotics, not in the Relevant Alphabetical ..."
4. The Writings in Prose and Verse of Rudyard Kipling by Rudyard Kipling (1903)
"And after thousands and thousands and thousands of years, and alter Hieroglyphics, and demotics, ..."
5. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society by Royal Astronomical Society (1855)
"... is justified by the circumstance that in some instances we find, in the second series, the sign o (expressing in demotics the word day) followed by one ..."
6. Guide to the Use of Libraries: A Manual for College and University Students by Margaret Hutchins, Alice Sarah Johnson, Margaret Stuart Williams (1922)
"... and Christianity D Ecclesiastical history E Biography F History G Geography and travels H Social sciences I demotics, Sociology J Civics, Government, ..."
7. A Library Primer by John Cotton Dana (1910)
"I demotics, Sociology. Ic Crime. Ig Charity. Ih Providence. Ik Education. J Civics, Government, Political science. Ju Constitutions and Politics. ..."
8. The Athenian Tribute Lists by Benjamin D. Meritt (1968)
"... with names and demotics) designate the individuals who managed the transaction. Thus the records show the names of two of the board of ..."