Definition of Dementia praecox
1. Noun. Any of several psychotic disorders characterized by distortions of reality and disturbances of thought and language and withdrawal from social contact.
Generic synonyms: Psychosis
Specialized synonyms: Borderline Schizophrenia, Latent Schizophrenia, Catatonia, Catatonic Schizophrenia, Catatonic Type Schizophrenia, Disorganized Schizophrenia, Disorganized Type Schizophrenia, Hebephrenia, Hebephrenic Schizophrenia, Paranoic Type Schizophrenia, Paranoid Schizophrenia, Paraphrenia, Paraphrenic Schizophrenia, Acute Schizophrenic Episode, Reactive Schizophrenia
Derivative terms: Schizophrenic, Schizophrenic
Definition of Dementia praecox
1. Noun. (dated pathology) schizophrenia ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Dementia Praecox Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dementia Praecox Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dementia Praecox
Literary usage of Dementia praecox
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Monographic Medicine by William Robie Patten Emerson, Guido Guerrini, William Brown, Wendell Christopher Phillips, John Whitridge Williams, John Appleton Swett, Hans Günther, Mario Mariotti, Hugh Grant Rowell (1916)
"Constitutional factors in the dementia praecox group. Rev. ... On some of the mental mechanisms in dementia praecox. J. Abnorm. Psychol., Boston, 1010-11, ..."
2. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by Philadelphia Neurological Society, American Neurological Association, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association (1915)
"In the first case of dementia praecox the patient broke down because he was unable to meet ... In the second case of dementia praecox no demand was made, ..."
3. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by American Neurological Association, Philadelphia Neurological Society, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association, Boston Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (1920)
"Diagnosis: dementia praecox. CASE 17. M. Made a scratch on his neck "but ... Diagnosis: simple dementia praecox. CASE 20. M. Took strychnine because his ..."
4. The Unsound Mind and the Law: A Presentation of Forensic Psychiatry by George W. Jacoby (1918)
"dementia praecox embraces a large part of all the psychoses that occur in youth. ... Formerly these main types of dementia praecox were designated purely ..."
5. The American Journal of Insanity by New York (State). State Lunatic Asylum (1906)
"Later in the same year in a paper entitled Some Points in the Diagnosis of Dementia Praecox, published simultaneously in American Medicine and in the ..."
6. The Kingdom of Evils: Psychiatric Social Work Presented in One Hundred Case by Elmer Ernest Southard, Mary Cromwell Jarrett (1922)
"dementia praecox The schizophrenic cases—dementia praecox (Group VII of ... Many patients with dementia praecox make fair recoveries and are able to live in ..."
7. Social Aspects of the Treatment of the Insane by Jacob Alter Goldberg (1921)
"dementia praecox CASE 10 Diagnosis. dementia praecox, simple. FH Negative, except for a brother who is nervous and ..."