Definition of Cryptoprocta ferox
1. Noun. Largest carnivore of Madagascar; intermediate in some respects between cats and civets.
Cryptoprocta Ferox Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cryptoprocta Ferox Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cryptoprocta Ferox
Literary usage of Cryptoprocta ferox
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Antananarvio Annual and Madagascar Magazine (1893)
"The cryptoprocta ferox or Fosa. — "Two specimens of that rare creature, the Tree Lion ... or cryptoprocta ferox, is the only genus of the fam'ily Crypto- ..."
2. The English Cyclopaediaby Charles Knight by Charles Knight (1867)
"... toes nearly equal and rather longer than the second and fifth ; thumb considerably shorter. (.'. ferox is a native of Madagascar. cryptoprocta ferox. ..."
3. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1895)
"This extensive hollow is uninhabited except by the wild boar-fusa (Cryptoprocta ferox), several species of ..."
4. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"The cryptoprocta ferox, a small and graceful cat-like animal, peculiar to Madagascar, was formerly classed among the Viver- ridse, but is now considered by ..."