Definition of Confederate states
1. Noun. The southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861.
Generic synonyms: Geographic Area, Geographic Region, Geographical Area, Geographical Region
Terms within: Slave State
Member holonyms: Al, Alabama, Camellia State, Heart Of Dixie, Ar, Arkansas, Land Of Opportunity, Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State, Empire State Of The South, Ga, Georgia, Peach State, La, Louisiana, Pelican State, Magnolia State, Mississippi, Ms, Missouri, Mo, Show Me State, Nc, North Carolina, Old North State, Tar Heel State, Palmetto State, Sc, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tn, Volunteer State, Lone-star State, Texas, Tx, Old Dominion, Old Dominion State, Va, Virginia
Attributes: South, Southern
Confederate States Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Confederate States Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Confederate States
Literary usage of Confederate states
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Federalist: A Commentary on the Constitution of the United States by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, John Jay, Paul Leicester Ford (1898)
"SECTION I. ' All legislative powers herein delegated shall bt vested in a Congress of the confederate states, which shall consist of a Senate and House of ..."
2. Southern History of the Great Civil War in the United States by Edward Alfred Pollard (1863)
".The Peace Congress. .Policy of the Border Slure Stnt*«. .Organization of the confederate states Government. .President Buchanan. ..."
3. History of the United States of America Under the Constitution by James Schouler (1908)
"SECTION I. THE THIRTEEN confederate states. 1783-1787. AT the close of our Revolution THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA comprised the same thirteen republics ..."
4. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"Its preamble stated that the confederate states acted in their sovereign and ... The policy adopted in Washington was to divide the confederate states along ..."
5. The Journal of Negro History by Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, inc (1919)
"Journal of Congress of confederate states, Vol. IV, p. 528 and Vol. VII, p. 595; Jones, Diary, Vol. II, p.431. « l;i<-h»t'>inl Dispatch, February 24, 1865; ..."
6. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1866)
"It is not easy to describe the flag of the late confederate states of North America in heraldic terms. Perhaps the following may pass muster: Gules, ..."