Definition of Chickeree
1. Noun. Far western United States counterpart of the red squirrel.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Chickeree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Chickeree
Literary usage of Chickeree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An American Glossary by Richard Hopwood Thornton (1912)
"chickeree. See quot. 1849. 1849 The larger red squirrel or ... (NED) a.1853 The chickeree shells his nut in quietness.—Dow, Jun., ' Patent Sermons,' iii. ..."
2. The Lake of the Sky, Lake Tahoe, in the High Sierras of California and by George Wharton James (1915)
"The tree squirrel about the Lake is the pine squirrel or " chickeree." The large tree squirrel is abundant on the west slope of the Sierra from about six ..."
3. The Mary Dawson game book: a manual of original games and guessing contests by Mary Dawson (1916)
"Chicken. The. chick we. dread. Chickenpox. The chick that lives in a tree. Chickadee. The chick that is not a biped. chickeree. The Indian chick. ..."
4. Mammals of the Mexican Boundary of the United States: A Descriptive by Edgar Alexander Mearns (1907)
"A few young ones were already abroad and sat up erect and acted like adults, although not as large as the eastern red squirrel or chickeree. ..."