Definition of Centunculus
1. Noun. A dicotyledonous genus of the family Primulaceae.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Primulaceae, Primrose Family, Primulaceae
Member holonyms: Bastard Pimpernel, Chaffweed, False Pimpernel
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Centunculus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Centunculus
Literary usage of Centunculus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1897)
"centunculus L. Sp. Pl. 116. 1753. Low annual glabrous erect simple or branched herbs, with alternate small entire sessile or short-petioled leaves, ..."
2. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1794)
"centunculus minimus. Linn. S/>. PI. 169. Hudf 63. Witb. 198. Curt. ... centunculus. Dill. in Rail Syn. i. V-/NE of the leaf t of our " perfect plants," as ..."
3. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1900)
"We must remember that the genus centunculus was established by Dillenius himself in 1717; the following year he mentioned the plant in his Catalogus ..."
4. Catalogue of the African Plants by William Philip Hiern, Alfred Barton Rendle, Friedrich Martin Josef Welwitsch (1898)
"This. plant has much the habit of centunculus. 3. A. pumila Swartz, Prodr. Veg. ... is much like that of centunculus, and the characters scarcely differ. ..."