Definition of Centrarchid
1. Noun. Small carnivorous freshwater percoid fishes of North America usually having a laterally compressed body and metallic luster: crappies; black bass; bluegills; pumpkinseed.
Generic synonyms: Percoid, Percoid Fish, Percoidean
Group relationships: Centrarchidae, Family Centrarchidae
Specialized synonyms: Crappie, Bream, Freshwater Bream, Lepomis Gibbosus, Pumpkinseed, Ambloplites Rupestris, Rock Bass, Rock Sunfish, Black Bass
Terms within: Sunfish
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Centrarchid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Centrarchid
Literary usage of Centrarchid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Warmwater Fisheries: Symposium I (1991) edited by James L. Cooper, R. H. Hamre (1999)
"The index was reported to be most commonly employed for the evaluation of centrarchid populations (largemouth and smallmouth bass, and various sunfishes), ..."
2. Preparing for Climate Change: Proceedings, Second North American Conference (1993)
"None of the centrarchid species are now viewed as pests, but some of the smaller sunfishes have utilitarian value only as forage for the larger, ..."
3. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1909)
"It is now found to be common at the south end of the lake over a muddy bottom along shore and in the lower courses of streams. 17. Family centrarchid. ..."
4. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"E. The Porcupine Fishes. Family PERCID/E. The Perches. Family centrarchid^E. The Sunfishes and Basses. ..."
5. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"324 aa. Anal spines i or 2 ; body oblong or elongate ; length less than 8 inches. a. Anal spines 3 to ю ....................... XLV, centrarchid. ..."