Definition of Centranthus
1. Noun. Genus of southern European herbs and subshrubs.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Valerianaceae, Valerian Family, Valerianaceae
Member holonyms: Centranthus Ruber, French Honeysuckle, Red Valerian
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Centranthus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Centranthus
Literary usage of Centranthus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of Hardy Herbaceous and Alpine Flowers by William Sutherland (1871)
"centranthus ruber, and one or ... are followed by the pappus-like processes of the numerous calyces, which are interesting and graceful. centranthus ruber ..."
2. The Natural History of Plants: Their Forms, Growth, Reproduction, and by Anton Kerner von Marilaun (1902)
"When only a single stigma is present (hitherto hidden behind the anther as in centranthus) of course only one can be displayed (see figs. 2892 and 2893). ..."
3. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and ...by Liberty Hyde Bailey by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1917)
"... Mazz., is centranthus ruber var. albus. ... V. rósea, Hort., is offered in the trade,—V. rubra. Linn., is centranthus ruber. ..."
4. A Practical Guide to Garden Plants by John Weathers (1901)
"centranthus high and glaucous leaves, the lower ones of which are oval, oblong, ... centranthus (Spur Valerian). A genus of 10 species df ornamental ..."