Definition of Cape canaveral
1. Noun. A sandy promontory (formerly Cape Kennedy) extending into the Atlantic Ocean from a barrier island off the eastern coast of Florida; the site of a NASA center for spaceflight.
Group relationships: Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State
Generic synonyms: Foreland, Head, Headland, Promontory
Cape Canaveral Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cape Canaveral Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cape Canaveral
Literary usage of Cape canaveral
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Territory of Florida, Or, Sketches of the Topography, Civil and Natural by John Lee Williams (1837)
"Very small quantities of shell are thrown on the coast, at cape canaveral, while here, they are extremely abundant. The strata are horizontal, ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1895)
"THE MIGRATION OF cape canaveral. IN connection with the foregoing, mention may be made of the southward migration of cape canaveral, ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1895)
"THE MIGRATION OF cape canaveral. IN connection with the foregoing, mention may be made of the southward migration of cape canaveral, as indicated by the ..."
4. The Colombian Navigator; Or, Sailing Directory for the American Coasts and by John Purdy (1839)
"cape canaveral lies SSE J E. 31 leagues from Matanza Inlet; be- tween lies Moskito Inlet, which is about 14 leagues NW by N. from cape canaveral. ..."
5. High Frontier: The U.S. Air Force & the Military Space Program by Curtis Peebles (1998)
"All American space launches are conducted from cape canaveral, Florida, ... The Long Range Proving Ground AFB (later Patrick AFB) at cape canaveral was ..."