Definition of Calochortus albus
1. Noun. Globe lily having open branched clusters of egg-shaped white flowers; southern California.
Group relationships: Calochortus, Genus Calochortus
Generic synonyms: Fairy Lantern, Globe Lily
Calochortus Albus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Calochortus Albus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calochortus Albus
Literary usage of Calochortus albus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1900)
"calochortus albus Dougl. ... of this Sierran form of calochortus albus; but owing to the fact that the original locality of C. albus is unknown, ..."
2. The Land of Sunshine by Charles Fletcher Lummis (1901)
"I once found in Eaton's Canon a fine specimen of the globe tulip, Calochortus albus, with four petals and four sepals, instead of the customary three. ..."
3. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1901)
"(7) Fairy lanterns (calochortus albus). quaintance with every feature of the ... The calochortus albus has numerous handsome sisters (calochortus means ..."
4. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1914)
"calochortus albus. (ХИ) No. 1 they ripen, and replant in the fall. Water sparingly at all times. Under suitable conditions they are hardy and tenacious of ..."
5. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1907)
"II, 318 (1899), because there exists already a valid species in the genus with the name calochortus albus Dougl. in Maund Botanist t. 98 (1839). Art. 54. ..."
6. The Garden Book of California by Belle Sumner Angier (1906)
"Some of the most beautiful varieties are calochortus albus, Calochortus venustus and Calochortus ..."