Definition of Calidris
1. Noun. A genus of Scolopacidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Scolopacidae, Scolopacidae
Member holonyms: Calidris Melanotos, Jacksnipe, Pectoral Sandpiper, Calidris Canutus, Grayback, Greyback, Knot, Calidris Ferruginea, Curlew Sandpiper
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Calidris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calidris
Literary usage of Calidris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1920)
"The type of calidris Anonymous being thus settled as Tringa calidris, it remains to determine the identity of this Tringa calidris. It is, of course, ..."
2. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"Genus calidris Illiger. ... (Type, by monotypy, Tringa alba Pallas.) calidris ... (New name for calidris Illiger. ..."
3. A History of British Birds by William Yarrell, Alfred Newton, Howard Saunders (1884)
"TOTANUS calidris (Linnaeus*). THE COMMON REDSHANK. Totanus calidris. THE COMMON REDSHANK is a numerous and ..."
4. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(3) calidris, Cuv.—TRINGA, Temm.(4) The bill of the Sandpipers is depressed at the end, and the nasal riety represented, Enl. 922. ..."