Definition of Cacalia
1. Noun. Genus of tall smooth herbs of forested mountains of Europe and Asia minor; in some classifications includes many plants usually placed in genus Emilia.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Aster Family, Asteraceae, Compositae, Family Asteraceae, Family Compositae
Member holonyms: Indian Plantain
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cacalia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cacalia
Literary usage of Cacalia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Gardeners Dictionary: Containing the Methods of Cultivating and ...by Philip Miller by Philip Miller (1754)
"C, BP .cacalia with thick hairy Leaves. 4. cacalia Pyrenaica ... cacalia with round Leaves fitting ... Taller American cacalia, with a triangular Leaf, ..."
2. Botany of the United States North of Virginia: Comprising Descriptions of by Lewis Caleb Beck (1848)
"cacalia. Linn.—Indian Plantain. (An ancient Greek name, the etymology of which is obscure.) Heads many-flowered, the flowers all tubular and perfect ..."
3. Favourite Flowers of Garden and Greenhouse by Edward Step (1897)
"Fig. 1 is a section through the flower-head; 2, an enlarged unopened floret from the disk ; 3, the same expanded ; and 4, in section. cacalia Natural Order ..."
4. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1812)
"Flat-leaved cacalia. Nat. of the Cape of Good Hope. Cult. ... cacalia laciniata. Jacqu. ic. 1. p. 168. Plant. grass. 18. Nat. of the Cape of Good Hope. ..."
5. Journal of Mycology by William Ashbrook Kellerman, Job Bicknell Ellis, Benjamin Matlack Everhart, United States Dept. of Agriculture. Section of Vegetable Pathology (1905)
"cacalia amplifolia DC., host to Puccinia ... cacalia obtusiloba Rob. & Greenm., host to Puccinia ... cacalia pringlei Wats., host to Puccinia ..."