Definition of Bret harte
1. Noun. United States writer noted for his stories about life during the California gold rush (1836-1902).
Bret Harte Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bret Harte Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bret Harte
Literary usage of Bret harte
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mark Twain: The Personal and Literary Life of Samuel Langhorne Clemens by Albert Bigelow Paine (1912)
"... MARK TWAIN AND bret harte WRITE A PLAY IT was the fall and winter of '76 that bret harte came to Hartford and collaborated with Mark Twain on the play ..."
2. Modern American Poetry by Louis Untermeyer (1921)
"bret harte (Francis) bret harte was born August 25, 1839, at Albany, New York. His childhood was spent in various cities of the East. ..."
3. Studying the Short-story: Sixteen Short-story Classics, with Introductions by Joseph Berg Esenwein (1918)
"78; bret harte in California, Noah Brooks, Century Magazine, vol. 58 ; American Humor and bret harte, GK Chesterton, Critic, vol. 41 ; Life of bret harte, ..."
4. American Book Prices Current (1921)
"Lev. mor., gt, unc., (with " Life of bret harte, by HG Mer- win," together 21 vols.), Ruppert, G., Apr. 14, '20. (73) $800.00. HARTFORD CONVENTION. ..."
5. A Golden Age of Authors: A Publisher's Recollection by William Webster Ellsworth (1919)
"Yes, he would take the story at one hundred and ^ fifty dollars if the money could go to Mrs. Harte, whom bret harte had left in America. ..."
6. The Short-story: Specimens Illustrating Its Development by Brander Matthews (1907)
"TENNESSEE'S PARTNER By bret harte (1839-1902) bret harte derived his method from ... But it is a fact that bret harte captured the romance of those days, ..."
7. Macmillan's Magazine by David Masson, John Morley, Mowbray Morris, George Grove (1889)
"By bret harte. 2 vols. The Saturday Review says:—"' Cressy' is in his ... The Globe says:—" ' Cressy ' is the best piece of fiction produced by bret harte. ..."
8. The Short Story in English by Henry Seidel Canby (1909)
"CHAPTER XVI THE AMERICANS FROM bret harte TO THE NINETIES THE use of bret harte ... bret harte is the figure which closes the struggle to popularize the new ..."