Definition of Boston brown bread
1. Noun. Dark steamed bread made of cornmeal wheat and flour with molasses and soda and milk or water.
Boston Brown Bread Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Boston Brown Bread Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Boston Brown Bread
Literary usage of Boston brown bread
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Boston Cooking-school Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer (1911)
"Indian Bread \% cups Graham flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup Indian meal % cup molasses % tablespoon soda \% cups milk Mix and steam same as boston brown bread. ..."
2. The Home Cook Book: A Collection of Practical Receipts by Expert Cooks (1905)
"... BISCUITS, MUFFINS To Make Dry Yeast—Perennial Yeast—Potato Yeast—Bread—Bread Made with Potatoes—Brown Bread—boston brown bread—Buttermilk Bread—Graham ..."
3. The Improved Housewife: Or Book of Receipts, with Engravings for Marketing by A. L. Webster (1855)
"boston brown bread. Wet up as stiff as can well be stirred, with warm water, that in which squash or green com has been boiled, if at hand, three pints of ..."
4. Baker's Bread by Paul Richards (1918)
"boston brown bread. boston brown bread is made in several ways. It is raised with yeast and also with soda and baking powder. The quantity of molasses also ..."
5. Things Mother Used to Make: A Collection of Old Time Recipes, Some Nearly by Lydia Maria Gurney (1913)
"Drop mixture, size of a walnut, into boiling fat. Serve warm, with maple syrup. boston brown bread Cupful of Rye Meal Cupful of Sour Milk ..."
6. Favorite Dishes: A Columbian Autograph Souvenir Cookery Book. Over Three by Carrie V. Shuman (1893)
"If wheat shorts cannot be procured, use one pint rye and one and one - half pints graham flour. boston brown bread. From MRS. GOVERNOR JAMES P. EAGLE, ..."
7. The New England Cook Book by Helen Saunders Wright (1912)
"boston brown bread (1) Take a quart of rye meal, and the same of fine Indian meal. (If this is bitter, ... boston brown bread (2) For a very small family, ..."