Definition of Benjamin west
1. Noun. English painter (born in America) who became the second president of the Royal Academy (1738-1820).
Benjamin West Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Benjamin West Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Benjamin West
Literary usage of Benjamin west
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Art in America by Frederick Fairchild Sherman (1918)
"benjamin west, who, upon his arrival in England in 1763, became almost at once a ... 2 The Life, Studies and Works of benjamin west. By John Gait. ..."
2. Samuel F.B. Morse: His Letters and Journals by Samuel Finley Breese Morse, Edward Lind Morse (1914)
"1811 —DECEMBER 1, 1811 benjamin west. — George III. ... AT this time Benjamin West the American was President of the Royal Academy and at the zenith of his ..."
3. The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography by Historical Society of Pennsylvania (1921)
"As you all know, the Art Alliance is at the present time holding a most interesting exhibition of pictures by benjamin west, which have been loaned for the ..."
4. The Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries by Pond, Nathan Gillett, 1832-, Martha Joanna Lamb, John Austin Stevens, Abbatt, William, 1851-1935, Stevens, John Austin, 1827-1910, Benjamin Franklin DeCosta, Henry Phelps Johnston, Nathan Gilbert Pond, William Abbatt (1892)
"CAREER OF benjamin west BIRTH ØF THE FINE ARTS IN AMERICA In the wilds of ... The awakening of genius in benjamin west has been distinctly traced to this ..."
5. Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings edited by John Denison Champlin, Charles Callahan Perkins (1887)
"... VICTOR, the younger, born in Antwerp, baptized May 4, 1612, died there, Oct. 23, 1652. Flemish school ; Death of Wolfe, benjamin west, ..."
6. Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society by Massachusetts Historical Society (1914)
"I hope this will find You and your Familly well, —And either in Europe or America assure your self of my sincere Friendship while I am benjamin west to ..."