Definition of Battle of jutland
1. Noun. An indecisive naval battle in World War I (1916); fought between the British and German fleets off the northwestern coast of Denmark.
Generic synonyms: Naval Battle
Group relationships: First World War, Great War, War To End War, World War 1, World War I
Geographical relationships: Danmark, Denmark, Kingdom Of Denmark
Battle Of Jutland Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Battle Of Jutland Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Battle Of Jutland
Literary usage of Battle of jutland
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the World War by Frank Herbert Simonds (1919)
"CHAPTER SIX THE battle of jutland I "THE DAY" AT LAST On May 31 there took place in the North Sea and opposite the Danish mainland the first encounter ..."
2. A History of Sea Power by William Oliver Stevens, Allan Ferguson Westcott (1920)
"CHAPTER XVII THE WORLD WAR [Continued] : THE battle of jutland THERE was only one action between the British Grand Fleet and the German High Seas Fleet in ..."
3. The Grand Fleet, 1914-1916: Its Creation, Development and Work by John Rushworth Jellicoe Jellicoe (1919)
"... known as the Battle of Jutland. The despatch* describing the battle, as published some weeks later, was not quite in its original form as written by me. ..."
4. The War of Democracy, the Allies' Statement: Chapters on the Fundamental by James Bryce Bryce, David Lloyd George (1917)
"FRUITS OF THE battle of jutland STATEMENT BY MR. BALFOUR The First Lord of the Admiralty has issued the following message:— The second anniversary of the ..."
5. The New York Times Current History (1917)
"As in the case of the British fleet, it must not be inferred that every German battleship was in the battle of Jutland, but the Germans must have taken out ..."
6. The Story of the Great War by Francis Joseph Reynolds, Allen Leon Churchill, Leonard Wood, Francis Trevelyan Miller, Austin Melvin Knight, Frederick Palmer, Frank Herbert Simonds, Arthur Brown Ruhl (1916)
"CHAPTER III THE battle of jutland BANK — BEGINNING A GREAT naval battle was fought in the North Sea off Jutland, where, in the afternoon and evening hours ..."