Definition of Basket fern
1. Noun. Tropical American fern cultivated for its finely divided greyish-green foliage; West Indies and southern Mexico to Peru and Brazil.
2. Noun. Giant epiphytic or lithophytic fern; Asia to Polynesia and Australia.
Generic synonyms: Fern
Group relationships: Drynaria, Genus Drynaria
Basket Fern Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Basket Fern Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Basket Fern
Literary usage of Basket fern
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. My Garden, Its Plan and Culture Together with a General Description of Its by Alfred Smee (1872)
"... is another basket fern, with fronds from two to three feet long. The P. refractum is a fine fern, with light transparent fronds from one to two feet in ..."
2. Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Home Farmer (1879)
"Asplenium divaricatum is also very elegant, but is not so decidedly pendant in character as the preceding. Another extremely fine basket Fern is ..."
3. The Horticulturist, and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste by Luther Tucker (1874)
"... is a charming basket fern from West tropical Africa, its small deltoid ... to clusters of silvery eels, is a good stove basket fern ; and Trichomanes ..."
4. A Dictionary of English Plant-names by James Britten, Robert Holland (1886)
"See basket fern. Fern, Beech. See Beech Fern. Fern, Bladder. Sco Bladder Fern. Fern, Boss. See Boss Fern. Fern, Brake. See Brake-fern. Fern, Bristle. ..."