Definition of B
1. Noun. Aerobic rod-shaped spore-producing bacterium; often occurring in chainlike formations; found primarily in soil.
Specialized synonyms: Anthrax Bacillus, Bacillus Anthracis, Bacillus Globigii, Bacillus Subtilis, Grass Bacillus, Hay Bacillus, Yersinia Pestis
Generic synonyms: Eubacteria, Eubacterium, True Bacteria
Group relationships: Genus Bacillus
Derivative terms: Bacillary, Bacillary
2. Noun. Originally thought to be a single vitamin but now separated into several B vitamins.
Specialized synonyms: Choline, Inositol, Pantothen, Pantothenic Acid, Aneurin, Antiberiberi Factor, Thiamin, Thiamine, Vitamin B1, Antipernicious Anemia Factor, Cobalamin, Cyanocobalamin, Vitamin B12, Hepatoflavin, Lactoflavin, Ovoflavin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B2, Vitamin G, Adermin, Pyridoxal, Pyridoxamine, Pyridoxine, Vitamin B6, Folacin, Folate, Folic Acid, Pteroylglutamic Acid, Pteroylmonoglutamic Acid, Vitamin Bc, Vitamin M, Niacin, Nicotinic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin H
Generic synonyms: Water-soluble Vitamin
3. Noun. A trivalent metalloid element; occurs both in a hard black crystal and in the form of a yellow or brown powder.
Generic synonyms: Chemical Element, Element
Substance meronyms: Borax, Kernite
Derivative terms: Boric, Boronic
4. Noun. A logarithmic unit of sound intensity equal to 10 decibels.
5. Noun. (physics) a unit of nuclear cross section; the effective circular area that one particle presents to another as a target for an encounter.
Category relationships: Atomic Physics, Nuclear Physics, Nucleonics
Generic synonyms: Area Unit, Square Measure
6. Noun. The 2nd letter of the Roman alphabet.
Generic synonyms: Alphabetic Character, Letter, Letter Of The Alphabet
7. Noun. The blood group whose red cells carry the B antigen.
Definition of B
1. Letter. (Latn-def en letter 2 bee) ¹
2. Number. (Latn-def en ordinal 2 bee) ¹
3. Abbreviation. (cricket) the number of balls faced by a batsman ¹
4. Abbreviation. The quantity one billion (1,000,000,000), usually used to signify a sum of money ¹
5. Abbreviation. (British) The grade of pencil that makes darker marks than grade HB but lighter marks than grade 2B; a pencil with soft lead. ¹
6. Abbreviation. (chess) bishop Bishop ¹
7. Noun. A personality type of someone who is relaxed and easygoing and able to engage in leisure activities without worrying about work. ¹
8. Noun. An academic grade, better than a C and worse than an A ¹
9. Noun. Signifies a second-tier or second class of a given commodity, group, or category, as in B-movie, B-list, etc. ¹
10. Noun. Alternate or secondary part, as the back side of a phonograph record. Contrasted with '''A''', which is the primary part. ¹
11. Noun. (music) The seventh note in the w:C major C major scale. ¹
12. Symbol. (computing) byte ¹
13. Letter. (Latn-def en letter 2 bee) ¹
14. Number. (Latn-def en ordinal 2 bee) ¹
15. Abbreviation. (alternative form of b.) ¹
16. Symbol. (astronomy) latitude in the galactic coordinate system ¹
17. Symbol. (physics) barn ¹
18. Symbol. (computing) bit ¹
19. Symbol. (cricket) bye ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of B
1. 1. Symbol for boron; for aspartic acid or asparagine when it is unclear which of the two amino acids is present; for bromouridine; second substrate in a multisubstrate enzyme-catalyzed reaction. 2. As a subscript, refers to barometric pressure. 3. In chemistry, denotes the second in a series, the second carbon from a functional (e.g., carboxylic) group, or the direction of a chemical bond toward the viewer. For terms having this prefix, see the specific term. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: B Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of B
b (current term)