Definition of Atacama desert
1. Noun. A desert in northern Chile rich in nitrate and copper deposits.
Atacama Desert Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Atacama Desert Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Atacama Desert
Literary usage of Atacama desert
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Encyclopaedia Britannica, a Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"It has an area of 30729 sq. in., lying in great part within the atacama desert region (see below), and a population (1002) of 71446. ..."
2. Central America, the West Indies and South America by Augustus Henry Keane, Henry Walter Bates (1885)
"The atacama desert and the Quebradas. It has been remarked that an absence of fresh-water lakes is everywhere observable in countries swept by dry winds. ..."
3. The Boundaries of Chile in Atacama Settled by History. by Manuel González de la Rosa (1879)
"In pages 8 and 9 he repeats that the limits of Chile commence in degree 25 « that is, in that part where the Salt River lies and where the atacama desert ..."
4. South America (W/Poster) by Jo Ellen Moore (1999)
"atacama desert The atacama desert is an arid region in northern Chile. ... Use the information on this page to locate the atacama desert on this map. ..."
5. Preventing the Forward Contamination of Mars by National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Preventing the Forward Contamination of Mars, National Research Council (U.S.). Space Studies Board, National Research Council (U.S.). Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences (2006)
"The low levels of organic matter in the atacama desert in concert with its oxidizing conditions make it an analog for conditions on Mars that offers a ..."
6. Principles of Human Geography by Ellsworth Huntington, Sumner W. Cushing (1922)
"The atacama desert in northern Chile contains by far the largest known deposits ... Before the value of the nitrogen was known the atacama desert was such a ..."