¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Asterid
1. a starfish [n -S] - See also: starfish
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Asterid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Asterid
Literary usage of Asterid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1872)
"A. Agassiz thinks that this asterid may be the ... The St.-Lawrence starfish is the " singular asterid allied to ..."
2. Revision of Paleozoic Stelleroidea, with Special Reference to North American by Charles Schuchert (1915)
"It is very seldom that a Paleozoic asterid is so well preserved that all of its parts can be made out, and this is especially true as regards the dorsal ..."
3. Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society by Royal Microscopical Society, London (1882)
"... plates of the asterid and the lateral plates of the arms of the ... this set of plates must, therefore, throughout the whole asterid series, ..."
4. Manual of geology by Samuel Haughton (1866)
"... a confusing genus, is said to range from Palaeozoic rocks to Chalk. Forbes* doubts if it be an asterid at all. ..."