Definition of Asplenium nidus
1. Noun. Tropical Old World or Australian epiphytic fern frequently forming tufts in tree crotches.
Generic synonyms: Fern
Group relationships: Asplenium, Genus Asplenium
Asplenium Nidus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Asplenium Nidus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Asplenium Nidus
Literary usage of Asplenium nidus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Natural History of New and Rare Ferns: Containing Species and Varieties by Edward Joseph Lowe (1868)
"asplenium nidus. i ... but differing considerably in others, may be considered as forms of the same Fern, and that Fern the asplenium nidus. ..."
2. The Eusporangiatae: The Comparative Morphology of the Ophioglossaceae and by Douglas Houghton Campbell (1911)
"The bird,s-nest fern, asplenium nidus, furnishes the favorite substratum for ... several hundred were collected from one large plant of asplenium nidus. ..."
3. Plant-geography Upon a Physiological Basis by Andreas Franz Wilhelm Schimper (1903)
"asplenium nidus in the botanic garden at ... In many places it is not Freycinetia, but the far more remarkable asplenium nidus (Fig. ..."
4. Notes by a Naturalist: An Account of Observations Made During the Voyage of by Henry Nottidge Moseley (1892)
"... limit of the growth of the wild Banana in any abundance, so the shelter for the night was made of tin- fronds of the Bird's-nest Fern (asplenium nidus). ..."
5. Hooker's Journal of Botany and Kew Garden Miscellany by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1850)
"leaves may be mentioned Mum, Colocasia, Caladium, Asplenium, Nidus, Leea. We are reminded of the high development and luxuriance of the vegetation of ..."
6. Trukese-English Dictionary =: Pwpwuken Tettenin Fóós, Chuuk-Ingenes by Ward Hunt Goodenough, Hiroshi Sugita (1990)
"asplenium nidus »»a,£/(nu.): bird's nest fern, (asplenium nidus). ass aas, (nu.): donkey, ass. assault ninni(vi.): assault, kill. assaulted »/'»»/'(vi. ..."
7. Tissue Culture: Plants : A Bibliography, January 1991-April 1993. by Henry Gilbert (1994)
"124 NAL Call No: 80 AC82 Micropropagation of asplenium nidus-avis. ... Language: English Descriptors: asplenium nidus; Micropropagation; Leaves; ..."