Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ardri Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ardri
Literary usage of Ardri
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Chronicles of Eri: Being the History of the Gaal Sciot Iber: Or, the Irish by Roger O'Connor (1822)
"The mantle of the king, and the sheath of his sword, abide in his tent. " Let ardri hear the voice of war, even from the mouth of ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"Niall 's posterity held the position of ardri uninterruptedly until 1005. .... The ardri desired to make the colony an Irish state tributary to the ..."
3. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"There was a high-king of Ireland (ardri), and subject to him were the ... Sometimes the ardri's tribute remained unpaid and his authority nominal; ..."
4. The Loyall Dissuasive: And Other Papers Concerning the Affairs of Clan Chattan by Aeneas Macpherson (1902)
"Thus Ireland had many tribes, it had five kingships, and it had, at Tara, the ardri or Monarch of Ireland. The same sort of arrangement seems to have held ..."
5. Irish Memories by Richard Barry O'Brien (1904)
"Over the provincial kings there was a supreme king called the ardri, who reigned at Tara, ... The allegiance which he paid to the ardri was merely nominal. ..."