Definition of Animal oil
1. Noun. Any oil obtained from animal substances.
Generic synonyms: Animal Material, Oil
Animal Oil Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Animal Oil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Animal Oil
Literary usage of Animal oil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Elements of Chemistry: Including the Recent Discoveries and Doctrines of the by Edward Turner (1835)
"animal oil of Dippel.—This name is applied to a limpid volatile oil, which is entirely different from the oils above mentioned, and is a product of the ..."
2. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1862)
"And, accordingly, every coachman and stableman concurs in testifying, on their practical experience, that while animal oil mollifies and preserves all ..."
3. Medical lexicon by Robley Dunglison (1860)
"... animal oil, animal oil of Dippel, (F.) Huile animale de Dippel ou de conte de cerf, is obtained by distilling animal matters, especially hartshorn, ..."
4. Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1896)
"In fact, I believe you will find that a large per cent, of the oil we get has two or three per cent, of animal oil combined with it. ..."
5. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1921)
"BONE MEAL v. FERTILISERS. JL BONE OIL. animal oil ... The first mention of an animal oil appears to be in the writings of C. Gesner, 1552, ..."