2. Noun. A leukocyte, especially in an in vitro culture. ¹
3. Noun. (alternative form of amoebocyte) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Amoebocyte
1. [n -S]
Medical Definition of Amoebocyte
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Amoebocyte Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Amoebocyte
Literary usage of Amoebocyte
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Immunity in Infective Diseases by Elie Metchnikoff (1907)
""I happened on one occasion," he writes, "to observe an amoebocyte of the spleen of the frog which in a short time ingested three ..."
2. Morphology of Invertebrate Types by Alexander Ivanovitch Petrunkevitch (1916)
"In the case of the egg it is a considerably grown and rounded up amoebocyte. In the case of the sperm an amoebocyte is first transformed into a so-called ..."
3. A Textbook in General Zoology by Henry Richardson Linville, Henry Augustus Kelly (1906)
"120, t), which join the Polian vesicles are thought to have the function of producing amoebocyte-cells, described on page 207. The cells on escaping into ..."
4. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1900)
"... geotropism, and heliotropism, not to consciousness ; LOEB (152 A). vii. Miscellanea and Experimental Physiology :—amoebocyte Stichopus ; BORDAS (43). ..."
5. Children's Environmental Health Research: Indoor Mold and Children's Health edited by Allen Dearry, Gwen Collman (2000)
"... water extracts were submitted to a Limulus amoebocyte lysate assay using a chro- mogenic test kit (Associates of Cape Cod, Woods Hole, MA) (13,14) in a ..."
6. Вестник зоологии. Отдельний выпуск by НАН Украины, Instytut zoolohiï (Akademii︠a︡ nauk Ukraïnsʹkoï RSR), Instytut zoolohiï im. I.I. Shmalʹhauzena (1899)
"Miscellanea and Experimental Physiology :—amoebocyte formation in parietal lacunae of respiratory trees of Holothuria and ..."