Definition of Sino-Japanese War
1. Noun. A war between China and Japan (1894 and 1895) over the control of the Korean Peninsula; China was overwhelmingly defeated at Port Arthur.
Generic synonyms: War, Warfare
Geographical relationships: Manchuria, Dae-han-min-gook, Han-gook, Korea, Korean Peninsula
Sino-Japanese War Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sino-Japanese War Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sino-Japanese War
Literary usage of Sino-Japanese War
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. War and Armament Loans of Japan by Ushisaburo Kobayashi (1922)
"CHAPTER IV FROM THE Sino-Japanese War TO THE RUSSO- JAPANESE WAR Our ... The Sino-Japanese War, however, commenced in June, 1894, when Japanese and Chinese ..."
2. War and Armament Expenditures of Japan by Giichi Ono (1922)
"The relative expenses in the Sino-Japanese War are as follows:2 1 See post, p. 76. « Cf. Appendix, Table No. 6(b). ..."
3. War and Armament Expenditures of Japan by Giichi Ono (1922)
"6(b) in the appendix have been prepared to show the Expenses for Military Affairs of the Sino-Japanese War and various relative expenses occasioned thereby. ..."
4. Conscription System in Japan by Gōtarō Ogawa, Yasuma Takata (1921)
"CHAPTER III FROM THE SATSUMA REBELLION TO THE SINO- JAPANESE WAR The period from the Reformation to the Satsuma Rebellion may be called that of the origin ..."
5. France and the Alliances: The Struggle for the Balance of Power by André Tardieu (1908)
"Sino-Japanese war. — Combined action of Germany, France, and Russia. — The "break-up of China." — Crisis of 1900. — Russo-Japanese War. — German profit. ..."
6. Problems of International Practice and Diplomacy: With Special Reference to by Thomas Barclay (1907)
"The Sino-Japanese war is one of the numerous examples of wars which have begun without notification and are cited in works on international law. ..."
7. Chinese Views of Future Warfare by Michael Pillsbury (1997)
"An important reminder of the Sino-Japanese War is that we must modernize our ... The final result of the Sino-Japanese War had a major influence on the _ ..."