Definition of Polydactylus
1. Noun. A genus of Polynemidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Polynemidae, Polynemidae
Member holonyms: Barbu, Polydactylus Virginicus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polydactylus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polydactylus
Literary usage of Polydactylus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Outlines of Oryctology: An Introduction to the Study of Fossil Organic by James Parkinson (1822)
"A. polydactylus, in MOUNTAIN LIMESTONE of the Mendip-hills and Caldy Island. A. l<Evis in MOUNTAIN LIMESTONE of Mitchel Dean. ..."
2. A Guide to the Study of Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1905)
"Polydactylus approximans, the raton of western Mexico, ... Polydactylus plebejus is common in Japan and other species range through Polynesia. ..."
3. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"Polydactylus differs from ... pectoral filaments usually 9 ; opercularis, 262 Polydactylus approximans. whose only vernacular name is raton, is found on the ..."
4. A Guide to the Study of Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1905)
"Shoulder-girdle of a Threadfin, Polydactylus approximans (Lay & Bennett). line extends on the ... Most of the species belong to the genus Polydactylus. ..."