Definition of Polyborus
1. Noun. A genus of Falconidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Falconidae, Family Falconidae
Member holonyms: Audubon's Caracara, Polyborus Cheriway Audubonii, Carancha, Polyborus Plancus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Polyborus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Polyborus
Literary usage of Polyborus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of America by John James Audubon (1840)
"Eggs from two to six, ovate, or roundish. Nest on trees, rocks, or the ground. GENTS I.—Polyborus, Пли. CARACARA. Bill large, high, rather long, ..."
2. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1876)
"Two Caracaras (Polyborus) in a very remarkable plumage, purchased of a dealer ... Their general form and size is exactly that of Polyborus t harn s ; and I ..."
3. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1874)
"235 (1829). be a Polyborus. The figure is not recognizable ; but if the locality, " Falkland * Brown's " Tawny Vulture " has been considered by some ..."
4. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1895)
"Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Lower California, south to Ecuador and Guiana. Breeds throughout its United States range and southward. 363. Polyborus lutosus ..."
5. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"Cuba. Accidental in Florida. GENUS Polyborus VIEILLOT. Polyborus VIEILL. ... Falco cheriway JACQ. Beitr. 1784, 17, tab. 4. Polyborus cheriway CAB. in ..."