Definition of Parus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Paridae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Paridae, Paridae
Member holonyms: Chickadee, Parus Bicolor, Tufted Titmouse, Blue Tit, Parus Caeruleus, Tomtit
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Parus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Parus
Literary usage of Parus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"The Great Tit, Parus major; .the Sombre Tit, Par us lugubris ... which is almost as minute as the Golden-crowned Wren ; but the Blue Titmouse or Nun (Parus ..."
2. A History of British Birds by William YARRELL, Howard Saunders, Alfred Newton (1874)
"Parus MAJOR, Linnaeus*. THE GREAT TITMOUSE. Paras major. ... SOME of the species of the genus Parus are remarkable for the beauty of their colours, ..."
3. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1829)
"Parus. Lin. Have the beak slender, short, conical, and straight; furnished with ... Parus Major. Enl. 3. 1. Rather olive above ; yellow beneath; the head, ..."
4. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1883)
"Parus, Linn. Syst. Nat. ip (1706) P. major. Cyanistes, id. op. cit. p. ... Head of Parus major, ..."
5. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1896)
"GENUS Parus. Parus, Linn., Syst. Nat., i., p. 341 (1766). Type, P. major, Linn. The genus Parus includes not only the True Tits, ..."
6. Darwinism To-day: A Discussion of Present-day Scientific Criticism of the by Vernon Lyman Kellogg (1907)
""Parus rufescens, from Sitka to Monterey, has a chestnut-coloured back. And from Sitka to Point Arena, between which we find the extremest humidity, ..."