Definition of Papanicolaou smear
1. Noun. A sample of secretions and superficial cells of the uterine cervix and uterus; examined with a microscope to detect any abnormal cells.
Generic synonyms: Cytologic Smear, Cytosmear, Smear
Group relationships: Pap Test, Papanicolaou Test, Smear Test
Medical Definition of Papanicolaou smear
1. (Papanicolao) a special stain performed usually on a smear taken from the neck of the womb - the cervix. (16 Dec 1997)
Papanicolaou Smear Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Papanicolaou Smear Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papanicolaou Smear
Literary usage of Papanicolaou smear
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Guide To Clinical Preventive Services by U. S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989)
"Laboratory reliability of the Papanicolaou smear. Obstet Gynecol 1985; 65:235-43. 7. Tawa K, Forsythe A, Cove JK, et al. A comparison of the Papanicolaou ..."
2. A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story by Andrei Maylunas (2005)
"... factors for abnormal Papanicolaou smear were investigated in a population-based cross-sectional study. From Nuuk (Greenland) and ..."
3. Clinician's Handbook of Preventive Services: Put Prevention Into Practice by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"Papanicolaou smear Approximately 15000 cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed and 4600 women will die of cervical cancer in the United States ..."
4. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: Report of the U. S. Preventive by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"Laboratory reliability of the Papanicolaou smear. ... Papanicolaou smear cell recovery techniques used by primary care physicians. ..."
5. Glossary of HIV/Aids-related Terms edited by Barry Leonard (1995)
"Also known as Papanicolaou smear after George Papanicolaou, the American cytologist who developed this method and published it in 1943. ..."
6. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"The results are based on information from history, physical examination, and Papanicolaou smear test obtained at the first visit. ..."
7. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion & Disease Prevention by DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"65 Shy, K.; Chu, J.; Mandelson, M.; Gréer, B.; and Figge, D. Papanicolaou smear screening interval and risk of cervical cancer. ..."