Definition of Orontium aquaticum
1. Noun. Aquatic plant of the southeastern United States having blue-green leaves and a spadix resembling a club covered with tiny yellow flowers.
Group relationships: Genus Orontium, Orontium
Generic synonyms: Aquatic Plant, Hydrophyte, Hydrophytic Plant, Water Plant
Orontium Aquaticum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Orontium Aquaticum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Orontium Aquaticum
Literary usage of Orontium aquaticum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"Orontium aquaticum L. Golden-club. Floating Arum. Fig. 1118. Orontium aquaticum L. Sp. PI. 324. 1753. Leaves ascending or floating, depending on the depth ..."
2. A Botanical Materia Medica: Consisting of the Generic and Specific by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"ORONTIUM aquaticum. Leaves lanceolate and oval. Obs. 8713. ... Leaf oblongo-lanceolate. Obs. 8713. ORONTIUM aquaticum. Schoepf 49. 2. ..."
3. Letters from the United States, Cuba and Canada by Amelia Matilda Murray (1856)
"We looted at specimens of Orontium aquaticum, and decided our Osyka specimens are not the same Orontium as that. I then went to see Mr. L , who promises to ..."
4. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1901)
"Orontium aquaticum, or Golden Club, is a hardy, native, aquatic plant, which bears in early spring yellow "clubs " on white stalks. ..."
5. Garden-making: Suggestions for the Utilizing of Home Grounds by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1898)
"... Typha angustifolia and T. latifolia.* Lizard's-tail, Saururus cernuus.* Peltandra, Peltandra undulata* Orontium, Orontium aquaticum. 187. ..."