Definition of Mysticeti
1. Noun. Baleen whales: right whales; rorquals; blue whales; humpbacks.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Cetacea, Order Cetacea
Member holonyms: Baleen Whale, Whalebone Whale, Balaenidae, Family Balaenidae, Balaenopteridae, Family Balaenopteridae, Eschrichtiidae, Family Eschrichtiidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mysticeti Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mysticeti
Literary usage of Mysticeti
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Syllabus of Lectures on the Vertebrata by Edward Drinker Cope, Henry Fairfield Osborn (1898)
"The Mysticeti, or whalebone whales, appear in the Lower ... The Odontoceti and Mysticeti are probably independent descendents of the ..."
2. Manual of the Natural History, Geology, and Physics of Greenland, and the by Thomas Rupert Jones, Great Britain Admiralty (1875)
"... mysticeti, Ltk. Greenl. ... 476, t. 5, f. 63-70; Sp. Bute, Brit. Crust., p. 85. . , C. mysticeti ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"See WHALEBONE. BALEEN WHALES, the group of whales whose mouths are furnished with a growth of baleen or whalebone (qv). They form a sub-order Mysticeti of ..."
4. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1875)
"This is readily distinguished from C. mysticeti Dalí, by its spiked " hands " and knobby branchial segments ; and from C. ..."