Definition of Mammuthus
1. Noun. Extinct genus: mammoths.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Elephantidae, Family Elephantidae
Member holonyms: Mammoth
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mammuthus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mammuthus
Literary usage of Mammuthus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"This deposit has also furnished other vertebrate remains, including two fragments of molars of Mammuthus sp., an incisor of ..."
2. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1868)
"Madden (1980) has shown that the earliest occurrence of Mammuthus in North America is approximately 1.5 mya Mammuthus has ..."
3. Explorations Into the World of Lewis and Clark: 194 Essays from the Pages of by Robert A. Saindon (2003)
"Moder n classifiers say the Siberian, or woolly, mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) became extinct ... Mammuthus now seems the preferred generic for mammoths, ..."
4. Explorations Into the World of Lewis and Clark V-2 of 3 by Robert A. Saindon (2003)
"Modem classifiers say the Siberian, or woolly, mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) became ... Mammuthus now seems the preferred generic for mammoths. but some ..."
5. Vierteljahrsschrift der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Zürich by Naturforschende Gesellschaft in Zürich (1856)
"... Zürich) eological and geotechnical investigations in the area of the famous Mammuthus primigenias site Niederweningen give evidence for a more precise ..."