Definition of Europeanise
1. Verb. Denationalize and subject (a territory) to the supervision of an agency of a European community of nations.
2. Verb. Make (continental) European in customs, character, or ideas.
Generic synonyms: Alter, Change, Modify
Derivative terms: Europeanisation, Europeanization
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Europeanise Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Europeanise
Literary usage of Europeanise
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1874)
"... and that we ought to hope that, in her present eagerness to Europeanise herself, she will be wise enough to make an exception in this one detail, ..."
2. Modern Egypt by Evelyn Baring Cromer (1908)
"Accordingly, he set to work to Europeanise the main framework of Egyptian institutions by means which were sometimes wise, and sometimes, possibly, ..."
3. The Historians' History of the World: A Comprehensive Narrative of the Rise by Henry Smith Williams (1904)
"... attached himself more closely to France and attempted to Europeanise his country. During the Crimean war, however, he aided the Porte against Russia. ..."
4. The Nineteenth Century (1885)
"The English in India do not, and cannot, with all their vigorous self-assertion, europeanise Asiatic forms, and it is thought that the more the House of ..."
5. Russian Life in Town and Country by Francis H. E. Palmer (1906)
"The masterful spirit of Peter the Great ignored all this. He was determined to Europeanise his people by force, exactly as attempts are now being made to ..."
6. Ancient Rome and Modern America: A Comparative Study of Morals and Manners by Guglielmo Ferrero (1914)
"... if Europe is being Americanised, America in compensation is being induced by an eternal impulse to Europeanise herself! I, like so many other Europeans, ..."
7. National Life and Character: A Forecast by Charles Henry Pearson (1894)
"That France and Italy will gradually Europeanise Algeria, Tunis, and Tripoli seems very possible. It may even be that Morocco will be absorbed. ..."