Definition of Dasyurus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Dasyuridae: native cats.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Dasyuridae, Family Dasyuridae, Family Dasyurinae
Member holonyms: Dasyure
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dasyurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dasyurus
Literary usage of Dasyurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Dasyurus, Geoff.(l) Two incisors and four grinders in each jaw less than the Opossums, so that they have only forty-two teeth ; their tail, ..."
2. Catalogue of the Hunterian Collection in the Museum of the Royal College of by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons in London (1831)
"457. Skull of a Virginian Opossum. Didelphis Virginiana. Genus Dasyurus. ... Skull of the Ursine Dasyurus. For the teeth. Dasyurus Ursinus. Hunter ian. ..."
3. Among Cannibals: An Account of Four Years' Travels in Australia and of Camp by Carl Lumholtz (1889)
"... hardly three feet long from the snout to the end of the tail. It was of a yellowish- gray colour, with whitish round spots. It proved to be a Dasyurus ..."
4. Catalogue of the Marsupialia and Monotremata in the Collection of the by Oldfield Thomas (1888)
"Haslar Hospital. Skull Dimensions of Thylacinus and Sarcophilus. 3. Dasyurus. Dasyurus, E. Geoff. Bull. Soc. Philom. ip 100 (1790).. D. viverrinus. Type. ..."
5. Catalogue of the Fossil Mammalia in the British Museum, (Natural History) by Richard Lydekker (1887)
"Genus Dasyurus, E. Geoffroy '. Dentition :—1.1, C. |, Pm. |, M. ^. The two premolare have been shown by Thomas to correspond to the first and third of the ..."